cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Sunday, June 08, 2008

One Day...



Abbey has been cracking me up this week....

While at Barnes and Noble with some friends she got up on their story stage and did a whole little storytelling show. She had a lot of fairy books (which she was calling angels) and she kept telling each story starting off with "One day..." Which seems to be her version of "Once upon a time..."

She's been asking for junk mail every day and walks around saying, "This is my email."

She zeroed in on a parenting book that a friend bought for me and has been carrying it everywhere saying, "This is very important to me." She had to sleep with it on the floor next to her bed the other night. She came and crawled in my bed in the middle of the night and the next day there it was laying next to my bed. She remembered to bring it in the middle of the night. She always brings something important with her.

When Abbey was a baby she hated loud noises. During the past school year a friend of mine has been cleaning my house while we are gone during the day. Today was my first day back on cleaning duty and Abbey ran and hid in a little tiny nook in the closet under the staircase when I turned on the vacuum. She often hides under the bathroom sink when I have my hair dryer on. She is just so cute running around in her undies and her crown.

I am so proud of her for wearing "real" underwear all week. Suddenly she's a little girl. I would be sad to let go of babyhood, but there is so much joy and wonder as her life is unfolding that there is no room for sadness, just amazement, profound joy, and gratitude to God.

Last night we visited the new church where my sister and brother-in-law are now pastoring and she did so great just going in to a new place and a new class. A few weeks ago we visited a friends church for a memorial service and Abbey was perfectly happy to go into their children's department.

A couple of weeks ago on our way to church I stopped by my sister's house to pick up something I left there the day before. As we pulled up Abbey said, "I like this church. It's really small." I explained that it was Auntie's house, where we had just been the day before. She is so funny.

When I have to say no to a request Abbey expectantly responds "maybe next time" or "maybe someday".

I bought her a Snow White cup for her excellent potty training and you would think it is the crown jewel. I couldn't have imagined that someone could ever get so much enjoyment out of a little plastic cup. She hides it in her little pink refrigerator when she goes to sleep.

Abbey has an imaginary Doctor, Dr. Wu. (aka Dr. WuWu) Sometimes she herself is Dr. Wu and sometimes it's third person. We had to see an alternate Dr. last week, Dr. Rueben, and Abbey started talking about Dr. Wu while we were in the office. Dr. Rueben thought she was calling her Dr. Ru and I had to explain our Dr. Wu. Let me tell you, Dr. Wu gives lots of shots.

Abbey and I have a secret joke. It's whispering "bobby pin" in each others ears. We both do it to each other when she is going to sleep and just laugh and laugh.

She is such a delightful creature and I never imagined I could be so incredibly blessed.
Posted by Picasa

14 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jie Jie to Sarah Lu and Chayah Ru said…

    Oh, Abbey is SO cute!!! I love how you have described her! She sounds SO smart!! Sarah Lu just loves to run around in her undies and princess crown too! ;)
    ~Staci

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger AandAsMama said…

    So sweet! I can't believe how fast Abby is growing! Isn't being a mommy just the very best thing in the whole wide world?!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are blessed indeed. When I first saw that picture of Abbey I thought for a split moment that it was Tahlia :-)

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Lindiana Jones said…

    I love that there are always such cute "Abbey-isms" to read about!

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once again I feel I could have written your post (with different stories of course)...I just so understand your feelings and admiration for you precious girl.
    She is blossoming into such an amazing little girl.
    now can you can email me some tips on pt'ing?? T will go only if she has nothing on...as soon as she puts anything on big girl pants or pull ups she goes in them...she needs to be trained for school in August...???

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    What a funny little girl you have! And so cute to boot!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Mick and Caitlin said…

    What a blessing that you shared these tender moments with us! It makes me feel I'm not missing as much as I am!

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Cherith said…

    She is such a sweetheart. I continue to be so happy for you both!

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Abbey is growing up so fast. She is just so beautiful!! Love your stories and am so happy to always see your updates.. Linda

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    I love your stories about Abbey and her ways! I hope you'll have many fun times together this summer. If gas weren't so dang expensive, I'd drive up and pay you a visit.

    :-)

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And most importantly, where did the crown come from....if I'm not mistaken?

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    What an amazing journey you two are on -- I agree that it's sad our girls have lost most of their babyness, but it is endlessly fascinating to see the girls they are growing into emerge through play and daily activities.

    We are, indeed, blessed to be our children's moms.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Sylvia said…

    Thanks for sharing Abbey stories! She is such a delightful little girl!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Nina said…

    She really is growing up so fast!! Whether a baby or a little girl (who's becoming a big girl), she is adorable. I'm so happy for your happiness together.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home