cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Faces I Love and More About China

This is my lovely niece along with little Miss Muffet. We just returned from a glorious trip to see my dad and two of my closest friends. It was wonderful and the first time I've been able to catch my breath in weeks. We had so much fun.
Now back to the daunting task of preparing to leave for a year. I cannot believe how much there is to do!
At the time I went to China to meet Abbey, in November 2006, my friends had just opened a school in Sh*nzhen. It's a fabulous cutting edge program for Chinese parents who want their children to learn English. There is a preschool program that runs all day, an after school program for older kids, and weekend classes on Saturday and Sunday. They also run intensive English camps during summer and Chinese New Year breaks. I will be teaching in and overseeing the preschool program. The children rotate through classes like Kindermusic, Zoophonics, and Gymboree in the morning and then have lunch, naps, Chinese, and Math in the the afternoon. So Abbey's instruction in the a.m. will be in English and in the p.m. in Chinese. All her peers will be Chinese speaking but in the process of learning English. I think this will be a great mix for her. We will be living in the same beautiful complex that houses the school. This cuts out the 1 and 1/2 hr commute we currently have each day between daycare and work. Another beautiful aspect of our venture is that part of the proceeds from the school have been used to establish a foundation to help orphans. Two schools have been started inside the two orphanages in the area. These children would not otherwise be able to attend school. In addition to the schools the foundation has also been able to set up surgeries and medical help for children within the orphanages, bring gifts, take groups to HK Disneyland, paint and decorate, etc. I want to be discreet but hope you can understand that this is truly a multi-faceted work that we have the privilege of joining. There is much that I will be unable to share in the blog or in email.
When I first began praying about adoption there was such a huge expansion in my heart of a dream that had always been there, a heart for orphans and children in need. I remember asking God what this big opening in my heart meant. Was I to
a) adopt,
b) encourage other families to adopt
c) work with an orphanage
I felt that His answer to me was d) all of the above, and begin with adopting my daughter.
I knew as I was on the journey to Abbey that I was crossing through a portal and my life would never be the same. This was the doorway into a whole new dimension.
So our current move is an unfolding of that calling, and where it will all lead to we do not yet know. Everyone's situation is unique, but for us I have felt that Abbey would benefit from a bi-cultural experience as young as possible and that the friendships and connections she will have in China will be a wonderful foundation for her life.

21 Comments:

  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    This sounds wonderful! What a wonderful opportunity for you, your daughter, and the children in China. God bless!

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Blogger D said…

    So incredibly excited for you and to see what God has in store for your lives!

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank-you for sharing whatever you can about your journey. How wonderful. I have been following your blog off and on since you adopted Abby. I adopted my DD Natalie in November 2007. I too am trying to make my dreams to work in China come true too...lots of prayer with this..Sincerely, CTG from RQ

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been a lurker for a while now..greatly enjoyed all your blogging..especially the O.U. cheerleading picture of your cutie!! (we are in Oklahoma). We adopted our DD Sarah from China in 2005....she however had an O.S.U. cheerleading outfit that her Dad put her in!! :o)

    What a wonderful opportunity for you and your daughter. How awesome is that to see God's promises for your life come to pass. Have a wonderful time there. Hug everyone in China for me!! I so miss the people there. God Bless!! Jeanette

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Lucky Mama said…

    Oh my gosh, this is such amazing news!! I am in awe of you, getting all this arranged and making another dream come true. Abbey is going to be a changed girl, for the positive, because of this exciting and brave decision.

    Oh, I do hope you'll share more information and keep posting about this adventure.

    /karen

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    I think it is absolutely wonderful. We will certainly be praying for your journey and time there.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kris said…

    I am so excited for you two! We have neighbors who are back here visiting right now who live and work in China. The DH is a teacher/administrator at an international school. They have 2 girls from China and 2 biological boys. They all love it. They've been there 2 years and are returning for at least 2 more.

    The opportunities God has opened for them while they have been there have been tremendous. I know God has great things in store you and Abby!

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger the meaklims said…

    I have been following your blog for a while now and I think you're an amazing mother!

    This trip you are taking to China is wonderful news and when God speaks in your life it is the best thing, because you know it is His will.

    You have an absolutely gorgeous daughter! I must admit I am a little biased, probably because my daughter comes from the same area as your daughter and currently resides in the Yangdong SWI. We hope to travel and get her in the fall. Our daughters have the same background in their referral pictures! Cute! :)

    Blessings
    Jill

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger mimifrancoise said…

    Long time lurker. I love your blog. It is awesome that you are going to China. My daughter and her 2 daughters from China went to live there last year and they loved it. The want to go back when they can. The people are so helpful and friendly.
    God bless!
    Fran

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your post about your new life work or 'mission' made me so happily excited!
    You are so blessed to be in a position to be able to do this. I am assuming you are a teacher right?
    What an absolutely wonderful opportunity for Abby to learn Chinese in an immersion setting.
    I must admit I am so happily envious of you and her! My daughter is learning Chinese too and loving it. However, I doubt she will ever be fluent unless we lived there which as an old married lady I would never be able to do.
    All my very best wishes and I pray that you will be a bright 'light' for China!
    In Christ, Kyra

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Paula said…

    Wow! That is absolutely fantastic!!! I don't comment often but felt I needed to tell you that I think this is a blessing as well as a tremendous opportunity for both yourself and Abbey. I do hope you'll be maintaining your blog somewhat while you are abroad. It would be fantastic to follow your extraordinary journey.

    God bless!

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so excited for you and Abbey. What an amazing opportunity! I can't wait to hear more about your experiences in China. It will be a year to remember. I am sure you will be forever changed by the experience. God is good and He will take care of you every step of the way.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lindiana Jones said…

    I am SO EXCITED that this long-awaited dream is finally coming to fruition! I know how hard it has been to overcome the many obstacles and am so happy that you are persevering, leaning on the Lord the whole way!

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Global Girl said…

    Oh goodness, how amazing!

    I'm leaving for China on July 9th. Would you be willing to email me? I'd like to ask some questions, and would be happy to fill you in on my trip as well.

    Best,
    -Kate
    bufwilcord@aol.com

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Oh Christi, what wonderful news for both of you! We are so excited for you, and know you have much to do to get ready for this grand adventure.

    We can't wait to follow your journey IN China!

    Kelly & family

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Sylvia said…

    I have been following your blog since before you got Abby. Look forward to following your journey to China again.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Jie Jie to Sarah Lu and Chayah Ru said…

    WOW! I am in awe!! What amazing things God is doing through you!! How awesome! How Great is our God!! I can't wait to hear more about it- absolutely amazing!!!
    ~Staci

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Scott and Kim said…

    Wow, what an exciting journey you and Abbey have to look forward to! I will continue to follow your blog and we will keep you both in our prayers. Keep following your heart and dreams! :-)

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Teacher Mary said…

    It is awesome to see how God how worked in your life the last 2-3 years! You have learned to trust Him in a way that would not have been possible without the bumps that were in the road that have led you to where you are now! KEEP THE FAITH that has been built up in you to this point as you go overseas to China! God will lift you up whenever you and Abbey need it! Lots of Love and Prayers!

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Wow - I just "stopped by" and read of your amazing news.

    Congratulations Christie! I can't wait to hear more about your next chapter. So very cool.

    Best of luck and good wishes to you and Abbey.

    Shell

     
  • At 5:05 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    So excited for you! I've been behind in blog reading and am just having an opportunity to catch up. What a wonderful opportunity for you and ZZ that God is opening for you!

    Praying for you as you prepare and as you move. The children you work with will be blessed to have you as their teacher!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home