cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Friday, April 04, 2008

It Works!

After hearing many experienced moms share their perspectives on potty training I decided to wait until I knew Abbey was really ready. I had heard that if you wait long enough they train themselves, and that has been true for us. We both enjoyed her time in diapers and since I didn't get her until she was 18 months it never got old for me. Although she could have done it 6 months ago I just didn't feel it was the right time, and now I am so glad I waited. A couple of weeks ago we went to Costco and bought a huge case of diapers. The next day she woke up dry from her nap and I took her in to use the potty. Something clicked and I just knew we were both ready. We returned the diapers and got pull-ups instead. She just took to it all like a duck to water and it has been so easy and fun. This picture is from our trip to get her a bike helmet which is what she wanted for filling up her potty chart. She has no need for a helmet, but she just thinks bike riders are so cool and has always been very impressed with their helmets. The other thing that really helped was M & M's. She's only had a little bit of sugar at special occasions, so treats have been really thrilling for her. I am so proud of her! Way to go Abbey!

15 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Woohoo...great news for your big girl. I love that it was such a low stress experience.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    That's got to be the best potty training story I've ever heard!

    Yea, Abbey!!!

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great job Abbey!

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Way to go Abbey!!! What a big girl you are! Ruby & I are both so very very proud of you & HAPPY for your Momma! *hugs*

    -Amy & Ruby Cate

    ps. That helmet is SCHNAPPY GIRL! Now, just get yourself a neato bike to go with it & you, my dear, will be STYLIN!
    ;)

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    Way to go Abbey!! Such a big girl. :0)

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Somewhere In The Sun said…

    Awwww...good for her! I think it's cute that she wanted a bike helmet too!

    ~Lynn

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Lucky Mama said…

    Great job Abbey! Now do you need a bike for your new helmet???! Kaylin loves her bike and helmet too.

    /karen

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    That is so fantastic! I'm like you...diapers never bothered me and part of me missed my little girl running down the hallway with her little diaper on!

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Very cool -- great job Abbey!!

    Congratulations, Mama!

    Now, Miss Abbey is gonna need a new bike to go with that new helmet!

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    Yay Abbey, way to go!!!!!!!

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats Abbey you are so smart!
    Like your helmet it is pretty!

    Kathleen

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    What a great smile she has. Way to go Abbey!!!

    Beverly

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Teacher Mary said…

    Way to go, Abbey Baby! Teacher Mary is so proud of you! Mama had a great idea to wait until she thought Abbey Baby was ready and willing! I love the bike helmet--can I have one too??? Will she share with me? I will have to ask her tomorrow! Lots of Love and Prayers!

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woo Hoo Abbey!!! We are so proud of both of you!

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Jie Jie to Sarah Lu and Chayah Ru said…

    Wow! Great job Miss Abbey!! Sarah Lu should learn from you! lol :) CUTE picture!
    ~Staci

     

Post a Comment

<< Home