cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Abbeyisms


  • This child cracks me up. I love her strong and very funny personality. As some have said, "she's no shrinking violet." She is in the toddler mode of repetition, repetition, repetition. We had started out the new year reading The Beginner's Bible every night and we've made it through quite a chunk but have recently gotten side-tracked to these Read-Aloud Bible Stories which I love. I've used these (three volumes) for years because of the huge pictures and simple preschool text. Abbey is now fixated on the story of the Good Samaritan. I had been a little dismayed when after reading about The Boy Who Shared His Lunch (feeding of the 5,000) Abbey told me in no uncertain terms that she did not want to share any of her food. When we moved on to our current story she also made it clear she had no intention of helping the hurt man. She's softened over the week and is now saying that she would help him. She loves it that the man gets bandages and has insisted on wearing several Batman band-aids all week. We acted out the story again tonight as I put her in bed. She was the sick man and I had to put on all her medicine and bandages and give her water to drink.
  • We also act out (EVERY NIGHT) her trip to the dentist office months ago. She is the dentist and puts on her gloves, and wants me to smell them to confirm that they are bubblegum flavor, and then she examines all my teeth with her eye right to my mouth and her forehead pressed up to my lips. If she could she would crawl right into my mouth. She gives me some sunglasses in case the light is too bright. She gives me water and has me swish and spit. She counts my teeth, proclaims them good, and then lets me get a token for a bouncy ball (at this point she has now departed from reality and says it is a gumball that the dentist gives - it was a gumball machine with toys in it). The machine has to be too hard for me to turn so she has to turn the handle for me. She holds open a bag for me to put all my goodies in (toothbrush, toothpaste, stickers). If the dentist only knew of the esteemed position she holds in Abbey's eyes!
  • She completely burnt me out on my Switchfoot CD which for some reason she calls "brand new". I finally had to put it away and tell her I am just sick of it. Now she has a couple of songs on a new worship CD that she asks me to play over and over. I still like them for now but it won't last long.
  • When she doesn't want to do something I ask, and probably has no intention of ever doing, she tries to let me down easy and tell me "maybe later Abbey will do that" ( she talks about herself third person, Elmo style) or "when I am older I will do that." Tonight she told me that she might eat vegetables when she is taller and I explained that she wouldn't be getting any taller if she doesn't eat them. When she doesn't do something she's supposed to she will also tell me, in a very hope filled voice, "maybe next time", meaning that in the future she might pick up toys, tell me that she has to go potty, etc.
  • Her favorite sayings right now are "Oh! I got!!", meaning I forgot, and "not TOO much, a little bit lot" so that I will know exactly how much milk or other foods to give her.
  • She's added thunder and the dark to her list of things to avoid and is still talking about lions everyday. Last week while sailing in her laundry basket boat she used her wand/paddle to whack tons of alligators. I finally had to open the door and shoo them all out of the house.

I plan on getting back to my camera this week and taking pictures as we take our first trip to Disneyland and celebrate her third birthday. She has a new super short haircut to beat the heat.

18 Comments:

  • At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Christi and Abbey,

    I love these stories!
    Have a wonderful time in Disneyland and happy birthday!

    love Leontien

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    What a funy little personality...wow, can you even remember your life before she graced it?

    Enjoy Disney;and.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Maybe Abbey will later do that"

    LOL So cute!

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Paulette said…

    She is growing up so fast. Love the imagination stories but most of all the Bible stories will have to get some of those.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Abbey, you have a most delightful personality!

    Have fun at Disneyland. Say hello to MIckey for me.

    :-)

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    what a great imagination. Have fun in disneyland!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Teacher Mary said…

    This chickie is a riot! She does have her own personality for sure! But I love her to pieces as she is so much fun! It sounds like she has a way of putting you off without saying no exactly! Keep on top of that girl! She has a very independent streak but also has a side with Mama where she can be very dependent! But that is what Mama's are for--just not too much! I am sad that this Friday will be my last time to take her to her class--waaaa, waaaa. I will just have to come and visit you two!
    Lots of Love and Prayers!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    What a character! Gotta love all of the little Abbey-isms. I'm glad you're writing them down, because even though you think you'll always remember them, you'll forget....isn't that sad?

    Abbey the dentist, eh? She could do much worse! I love seeing her pictures and reading about her exploits. She's such a beautiful child!

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger MMM X 2 said…

    Thank you for sharing your stories. I love reading them, and miss taking part!!! I can't believe Mailee has already surpassed the age Abbey was when we met her sparkling eyes. Your life with your little girl gives us so much to look forward to as they grow!

    Love,
    Amanda

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This makes me miss her and you too! She is a crack up. These are great stories. sounds like your first trip to the dentist was much more successful than ours (and T had one cavity with all my no sugar rules!)
    So sad we will miss seeing Abbey for her 3rd bday- Disney sounds super fun- post lots of pics.
    Always look forward to reading all the latest Miss Abbey updates.
    We miss you.
    Kimberley & Tuesday

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    That is too cute. Glenys tells me she will do "that" (whatever that is) when she is 10. Ten to her is the be all end all of growing up I guess.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Lucky Mama said…

    Ooooh have fun at Disneyland! I LOVED taking Jamie there just before she turned three and she still remembers it well.

    /k

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    What a funny and smart girl! I like her negotiating skills!

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    She is a HOOT!

    you two were so incredibly blessed to find each other.

    Shoo the alligators out of the house... that one made me laugh out loud.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Christi,

    Hello! I just had to "comment"...I am laughing SO hard (out loud) about Abbey eating her veggies when she's a little bit taller - I love your subtle advise back to her about that. Hilarious! I wish I could see you guys more often - maybe I'll run into you at Chuck-E-Cheese again. Love and hugs to you both!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    Miss your visits to my blog but am happy to see that you keep in touch with the others. Robin S has started a blog. She hasn't put anything but a test post on it yet, but we have all left her comments encouraging her to continue. Next project is getting Nanette to start posting.

    Happy upcoming Birthday to Abbey. Hope she, and you, have a wonderful day. It is amazing to "watch" her grow up on the blog.

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to sweet Abbey!!!

    I cannot believe our little Miss ZZ is three!

    Hope you had a wonderful time at DisneyLand!

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Lindiana Jones said…

    She is so funny! I love all her cute sayings and facial expressions. I can't believe she is already 3! I look forward to seeing the Disneyland pics.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home