cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Monday, March 10, 2008

Growing Pains



Just this morning I was thinking about how wonderfully distracting it is to have someone so cute in your rear-view mirror. This evening a whole different scene took place. Abbey had her first tantrum. I am hoping it was due to the time change and the fact that she had a very short (1 hour) nap today. She usually says "no home" when I pick her up from daycare, meaning that she wants to go out and have some fun as opposed to dinner, bath, and bedtime. Sometimes we do go out for some errands or out to dinner and she loves it, but of course we usually do go home. Tonight the whole thing escalated as we drove past a shopping center where I had recently taken her for her first frozen yogurt (with mini m&ms). I don't let her have many treats so it was a really big deal. When she realized we were going past the same place today she completely melted down. I was shocked. She was literally yelling at me to go back and had a fit the whole way home. For a brief moment I considered giving in and then got a hold of myself, what was I thinking? Reinforce this behavior? But since she never acts like this and was short on sleep I ignored as best I could (and prayed softly, but loud enough for her to hear) until we got home and then had a special talk, followed by another one before bedtime, at which time she said she was sorry and I explained future consequences for yelling at Mama. I hope we both have a very good night's sleep.
I've been tied up all week with report cards and taxes but am free at last. We celebrated by going to get Abbey's Easter dress yesterday. This followed and emotional morning at church. My sister and brother-in-law resigned from pastoring our church last week. I did pretty well at their big farewell party, but when it came to going this week and not having them there, it just about did me in. I was bawling through the worship and kept thinking "I can't do this, I have to leave." I could see a guest speaker up front and his wife and can you believe my attitude... I was thinking that I didn't like them, for no reason, I just didn't like that they were there and from the back of their heads I didn't like them...very silly, I know. Anyway, when he actually got up to share it turned out that this couple had adopted three children from a country in Africa that has never had any children adopted out to America. It took them six years and they made trips over during that time and decided they would parent these children even if they had to do it long distance and could never bring them home. It was a wonderful message and of course I loved this couple so much as I heard their story. Fickle, huh? But God really met me right where I was at and just when I thought I couldn't move forward he had the right people there at the right time.

13 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    Sorry to hear about the Abbey outburst. Glenys has them and it always takes me back.

    Beverly

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Caroline had a whopper of a tantrum in a Westlake Village grocery store last week. Horrible, horrible, horrible. BUT! She now knows I won't back down and has mentioned the incident a few times with sorrow so I think I got to her heart.

    In the meantime, I don't think I'll be able to show my face there until she graduates from college. :)

    Teresa

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    By the way, I have a beautiful dress I want to hand down to Abbey. It's already been handed down 3 times, but it is still in mint condition!

    Call me and we can arrange a pick up!

    Teresa

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Nanette said…

    Oh Christi, You are so lucky! Lacie has tantrums on a daily basis. She will kick her shoes off and lay on the floor kicking and screaming. Sometimes she even scratches us. These started way before the terrible two's. Consider yourself very lucky.

    P.S. Abbey is absolutely adorable!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Only one tantrum since you've been a family? Wow -- that's amazing! Glad you soldiered on and didn't cave in.

    Katie takes a gymnastics class and after each one the kids get stamps on their hands. The instructor tells the kids she'll pick the child sitting quietly to come up for them. Katie decided she wanted to be first, and started throwing a tantrum. So when the first child was done, the instructor says, "Katie" -- to which I replied (as I was holding a screaming, fit-throwing child) "No. You cannot reward this behavior, choose a child who is sitting quietly" -- long story short, Katie finally calmed down and was the LAST child to get stamps on her hand. You did the absolute right thing with Abbey, hard as it was -- and yes, it is hard to listen to the screaming and yelling!.

    Sorry about your Sister & BIL leaving your church, but am so glad you are liking the new pastor/s. How lovely they have ties to the Adoption world!

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    God is so good!! ...and Abbey's picture is gorgeous!!!

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Lucky Mama said…

    I might also pitch a fit for ice cream and mini m&m's ;-) Can't wait to see her in the new Easter dress.

    /karen

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Cherith said…

    Sounds like you handled the tantrum PERFECTLY mama! Good job!

    Change is always SO hard. What an amazing gift to have a fmaily you have so much in common with step in!

    Hugs!

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Shana said…

    First of all, I love Abbey's hairdo (the "Palm Tree" as Sophie calls it). She is SO cute!

    I'm sorry Abbey had her first tantrum in the car because I know that had to be more frustrating for you. I think you handled it so well. I remember when Sophie Lu had her first meltdown too- I was so upset and taken by surprise, but I think the worst part was seeing her so sad and angry. Now when she has them, I just hold her (unless she is screaming at me) and reassure her in my softest voice. And even when she does scream at me, she studies my face to find my feelings and almost instantly feels remorseful and reaches her arms up for me to hold her (and then she calms down). Like Sophie, Abbey knows very well how much her Mommy loves her- and this will help comfort her and give her the security she needs to work through her tantrums. :)

    Big Hugs!!!
    Shana :)

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Mendy said…

    Good job, Mom! It is so hard not to give into their fits. Joleigh has had a few tantrums. I just let her have it her tantrum and go on.
    We just recently gone thru a major church change and I can relate to your feelings. Time will make it better.
    Mendy

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Teacher Mary said…

    I can just see her in total meltdown! When I picked her up Friday & was waiting some of the Mom's commented that she was the only girl in the class & "poor" her thinking that she could not hold her own with all those boys! I told them never to worry because Abbey Baby can take care of herself! She certainly won't let them roll over her! She is such a little doll, but, like everyone she does like to have her own way!
    The problem with being almost 3 is that she does not have the words to describe exactly what she is thinking and feeling so tantrums ensue. You did the absolute right thing by not giving in & letting her know that Mama/Mommy deserves better treatment! I know that you were feeling the Ware's loss on Sunday--but after hearing from him I know there was a huge bond between you & them. Can you imagine waiting 6 years??!!?? See you both soon. With Lots of Love and Prayers!

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    Meltdown's don't sound like fun at all!! You turning it into a loving, learning lesson was great; you are a great parent.
    It is amazing what God places in our pathway isn't it? There is no coincidences.

    Alyson LID 01/27/06

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Christy! I had been thinking about you and Abbie with Macy's birthday coming up (and Abbie's) and checked in to see the latest on your sweetie! It sounds like you two are having fun and that Abbie is learning so much! I would love to see you girls-any chance of a visit to Santa Cruz? Happy Belated Easter! Love, Jan(DeWitt)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home