cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, February 16, 2008

CNY - The Partying Continues



The big FCC event was really fun, but I loved even more our get togethers with friends. We were very honored to be asked by two families to be their guests for Chinese New Year, last Saturday and Sunday. Double Happiness!! The first party was about 20 adults and 10 children. We had traditional Chinese feast that my friend's mom spent days preparing. It was incredible. Abbey insisted on using chopsticks, sometimes with two hands and sometimes in the perscribed manner. I think she's doing great with them for her age and I love it that she wants to master the technique. Abbey prepared hong bao (red envelopes) with gold foil chocolate coins, thanks to Sandra's great idea, and passed them out to all the children. We also brought some stuffed rats and tangerines (for a sweet life). Abbey received some hong bao with lucky money from my friend Janet and from her mom. Abbey loved playing with her friend Derica who is the same age, and several other friends. We had such a great time and were sorry when we had to leave. The next day we had a more intimate gathering with with our friends Zen and Sherry, and sweet little Olivia, who is also 2. Sherry made so many fabulous dishes and I ate the equivalent of 3 or 4 meals, but I wasn't going to miss this golden opportunity. One of my favorite dishes was Zen's tempura shrimp. At both feasts we were served corn with pine nuts, which is a very yummy combination. Oh, and the jiaoza, how I love it! After gleaning many things about China, and Chinese culture, and sipping lots of hot tea, I finally realized that Abbey had gone completely wild with glee and that it was past her bedtime, so we had to pack up and go. She came with more lucky money from our very generous friends, which she has been taking around in her shopping cart and high heels and thinking about what she will purchase. It's the first time she's had any cash and she's very happy about that. Both of these special celebrations will always be treasured in our hearts. So much kindness has been extended to us, may we some how be a blessing in return.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How sweet. I am so glad that she got to start celebrating CNY in so many different ways! The exposure is really good for her. She may be a party animal as she gets older, Christi, so get prepared! I love the high heels wearing and the idea that she has her own money!
    Lots of Love and Prayers!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    That is so cool to have so many celebrations to enjoy!!!

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    please contact me.
    my daughter is also from yangdong.
    dong zhizhi

    icol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home