cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Eating My Words...


Last week an experienced mom was telling me, "Just wait until she learns to climb out of her carseat." I scoffed in my mind at such a notion, surely she couldn't and wouldn't. She used to be very placid back there in her little seat but in the last couple of weeks she gets tired of it after about 15 minutes and starts going through the same list of protests that she uses at bedtime..."hold you Mama", pleas for water, lights, food, hair clips, lotion, socks, another blankie, animal, etc., and finally she pulls out the big guns - "poo-poo Mama" - to which I now say, "just go in your diaper". Well she was doing all this the other night in her carseat and when we got home I turned around to see that she had gotten the chest clip down by the buckle and pulled her arms through so that her whole upper torso was free and just her legs were buckled in. I told her in no uncertain terms what would happen if she ever did that again and her eyes looked serious but her mouth was curling up a little on one side and it seemed as though she was trying to hold back a laugh. I could not believe it. What will she be trying next?
On my way to the baby proofing store for a buckle cover, which I hope will last more than the five minutes that other baby proof items have lasted.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:12 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    Oh yeah.. BTDT. When my son was little, he was always climbing out of his car seat. He was also the same kid who could open cabinets, medication etc etc all of which were child proofed!
    The fun has yet to come! :0)

     
  • At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the caption "I was a good mom before I had kids." I had so much advice and so much rightous indignation at what parents would let their children get away with! My daughter wasn't a car seat scrambler, however, at age 4 she began with a definite sense of style that wasn't mine and all the cute Gymboree type clothes I wanted to dress her in she wouldn't wear so unlike my before kids persona, I gave in to her style. That continues today when at 9, she insists on wearing her enviably beautiful long, wavy, thick hair in a messy ponytail. Really annoys me when she does it as I'm trying to make my fine straight hair bend under with a curling iron! BTW, congratulations on your recent Forever Family Day - I have so much enjoyed watching beautiful Abby evolve from then to now and your blog is still my favorite!

    Bonnie (mom to Brooke Ashlin Xiang)

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Oh Christi you made me laugh!
    I can just imagine that little half smile on Abbey's sweet face. My 4 yo Luke does the same thing.
    You are still a great momma..just a little wiser about all it takes to be one. ;-)

    Amy
    your dragonfly pal

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Brandi said…

    I'm sorry...but that is too funny!

    I've also BTDT, and it always amazes me how they can get out of them...but they do!

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Liz and Ava said…

    Oh!...I am so glad I am not the only one who has a defiant child who grins at me when disciplined!

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    Okay, be honest.... do you see any similarities in the way Abbey acts and the way you, your sister and brother did when you were kids?

    Just wondered if your mom ever said, "I hope when you have kids they act just like you", and if it has come true. :)

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reminds me of when my son Ryan was a baby, he has Down Syndrome and is ultra double jointed. I had trouble keeping him in his seat too, but he wouldn't unbuckle anything just threw stuff out of joint and crawled completely out and would be sitting on the seat!!! Some kid just like to push the limits!! I love reading about your daughter, it always makes me smile.
    Becky
    www.babygirlbennett.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    Oh man, we can't be far behind. I swear every time I read that Abbey has done something new, my girls are doing it within the week. Do you think they read your blog? ;-) Please let us know if the buckle cover works. And Happy Halloween - your sweetie is adorable!

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger java said…

    Just remember when you were her age car seats were rarely used and not very good and you made it just fine. She'll learn the rules, she just has to push the boundaries first.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home