cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

CAKE!!!

For many birthday parties (including her own) I was able to dodge and deflect cake from landing in Abbey's mouth. Several months ago at her friend Oliva's party she got one bite. When she turned around the plate disappeared and for the first time she asked for it and looked around. When Tuesday's party came in July I let her have some cake because it was all made with fruit and whipped cream and sweetened only with fruit juice (yay Kimberly!). Last week at Quinlee and Margaux's party I finally let loose and let her join in on a piece of ice cream cake and I have not heard the end of it since. Abbey thinks that the pointy hat is what signifies that you are eligible for cake so she now wears it everywhere and points it out to all passersby and shouts "CAKE", hoping they will hand some over. An added benefit to wearing the hat is that people in stores and restaurants think it's her birthday and give all kinds of special treatment and attention when she wears it. BTW, today is her half birthday - two and a half! I can feel my resolve weakening as we roll into the holiday season. I may break down and let her eat a piece of trick or treat candy and the next thing you know it will probably be a gingerbread house. On the home front though we still stick to our regime - no yogurt, applesauce, cereal, etc. with added sugar. Oh, and did I mention she goes totally wild with sugar? Oh yeah, bouncing around and shouting for a couple of hours...another reason to resist.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger k1 said…

    I love the association of the pointy hat with cake. TOO FUNNY!

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Glad she's able to indulge sometimes. Hopefully her little system will adjust to occasional treats and not give her more energy than mama can handle. The story of the hat and all that it means to Abby is funny!

    Hmmm...can't see the pics in the other post. Not sure if it's just me or if others are struggling too.

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Diana said…

    I can not see them either.
    I make a cake with a Lemon cake mix (or any cake mix), 1 can diet sprite (or any flavor) and 2 egg whites. It is MY kids FAVORITE. They would pick it over icing cake any day as they do not like icing.
    You can add cool whip to the top and strawberrys too:):)

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    She sure does look cute in that party hat. I was confused for a minute and thought I'd missed the ramp up to her birthday somehow. Now I realize she was a participant at another's birthday party.

    Cake. It's got to be done right. Most store-bought cakes have way too much frosting on them. I think cake without the frosting is more appealing to me than cake with the frosting. And, yes, when kids get that much sugar in them, they go nuts. You are wise to limit her intake.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    I had to laugh at the pointed hat symbolizing cake. I think I just might sport such a hat out and see if I can score some cake. Or maybe the added attention just might be nice!

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Love, love the hat/cake story! They do learn early!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger kerri said…

    Sugar and my Jillian not a pretty mix, we too scream, jump and are just off the wall for hours!!
    I try to limit sugar where possible, I love your recipe Diana, might have to give that one a try!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is so funny! Thanks for sharing. I need all the humor I can get these days. Abbey is getting so big! Time flies and then again it doesn't....I won't want my daughter to have sugar either but I've also heard that children who don't have any sweets around don't learn how to control/modulate themselves when they do get more freedom. It's a hard call but on special occassions like you are doing it's probably ok. Take care and thanks for sharing. Hugs, Dale

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    "Abbey thinks that the pointy hat is what signifies that you are eligible for cake so she now wears it everywhere and points it out to all passersby and shouts "CAKE", hoping they will hand some over."

    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

    That is the funnies thing I've read in a long time. I'm going to start wearing a pointy hat and see if someone throws a little cake MY way

    HAPPY, HAPPY 1/2 BIRTHDAY DEAR ABBEY!!

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I love her thought process! She really is a cutie!

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    you are cracking me up! i have been wondering when I was going to break down- so far I offered Tuesday some chocolate at her 2nd birthday dinner at Chinois (well that was really for Mommy's bday dinner) and she REFUSED it. Then on Labor Day I offered her some oreo ice cream and she again refused....maybe my plan is working.

    Abbey looks like she has grown a foot! She is gorgeous and her legs look so long and beautiful (like a dancer) in that photo on the booster...

    Hope to see you at an event soon.
    Love,
    Kimberley & Tuesday xx

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just love the Mommy comments about the hat/cake connection, especially the one's who are willing to see if the hat/cake connection will work for them--too funny! I do not have a problem with sugar making me crazed but I do have a brother and some sisters who do get wild. Best bet, like you are doing (GOOD MOMMY!) is to limit as much as you can. I hate too much buttercream frosting, give me whipped cream frosting any day of the week! I cannot believe that in about 2 weeks we will celebrate you picking up Abbey at the orphanage! Thank you Lord for your mercy and provision! Lots of Love and Prayers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home