cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Turn the Page


A close friend and her husband had just completed their first adoption. They adopted a beautiful girl domestically that was part Korean. At her baby shower I had the privilege of holding her daughter. As I held her sleeping baby a love welled up in my heart that I never knew you could feel, it was overwhelming. It was like being a conduit of a love that neither began with me or ended with her, it was above and beyond.
In pondering serious life decisions I’ve found it very helpful to consult with those whom you respect and get their perspective on the options before you. As I contemplated adopting a child I approached the decision which the deepest sense of gravity I have ever known. My sister and brother-in-law are the pastors of my church. In talking it over the possibility of adopting with them, my sister said something that stuck with me. She said that she could not imagine me looking back over my life at it's end having never been a mom. She was right, that was unthinkable. I checked out tons of books from the library about adoption and had them all piled around my bed. I wrestled with the Lord for almost two years. I didn’t realize it before, but I had quite a narrow mindset about what it meant to be a Christian and be a mom. Although I had not been conscious of it before, I now had to face a whole world of perfectionism I had erected in my mind. I thought that the ideal was to stay at home to raise children, have a white picket fence, make all your food from scratch (preferably grown in your organic garden), and home school your children or have the money to put them in a private Christian school. And there definitely needed to be a dad! The idea of a single, working mom with a child in daycare was truly outside of anything I could think of God wanting anyone to do. As I read more about the situation of orphans around the world I slowly began to realize that there was a lot of things I had not taken into consideration. With every argument and concern I came up with I felt that God kept reminding me of the same thing: that having a single, working mother who knew Him was better than being in an orphanage. I was terrified about the finances, time and energy it would take to be able to parent a child alone. And yet I really began to come to an understanding that however substandard a situation I could provide, it would actually be a huge improvement for a child who had no one. At least I could love them with all my heart and be sure they got three warm meals a day. I began looking back and realizing that this all fit into things that the Lord had been doing in my heart for a long time.
I experienced the paradigm shift which you may remember me sharing before. I never realized all of these preconceived notions ruled my mind, but they did. One day I my thinking was transformed. I had always clung to a verse in Psalms 68:6 that says, "God sets the solitary in families." Feeling very solitary, I kept waiting and hoping that God was going to set me in a family with a husband and children. As I was praying about adoption I felt like God spoke to me one day and said, "You are the family, and I will set the solitary in you." It really turned my perspective around and I realized I could be the family someone needs.

19 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    Thank you for sharing, Christi. I am so glad you listened to Him and recognized that YOU could be a family. I'm eager to "hear" the rest of your story.

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Wow. What an amazing process you had to go through to become Abbey's Mom.

    Both of you have been so incredibly blessed by this process, and I'm so glad I was there to witness the beginning of your family!

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I think it's amazing how each adoption story is unique and how our lives sometimes just don't turn out the way we expect.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Christi. It is so moving...

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    Chrisi, thank you for sharing how you were lead to Abbey and becoming a family by obeying God's will for your life. At this time of decision in our life, you were and are truly an inspiration to me. Thank you for all your encouraging words.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am filled with compassion and joy and warmth, after reading your last two posts.

    God is pleased, Christi. Very pleased.

    And your story is a powerful testimony that God, throughout time, has used ordinary people to accomplish extraordinary things!

    Blessing you and darling Abbey!

    Teri
    (from Iowa)

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Email Marketing Yenta said…

    Christi, I have been a lurker for almost one year now on your blog. In fact, I found you at the tail end of my paperchase...>I am now 8 months lid. Thanks for sharing. Your words echo so many thoughts that I have had in my own life. Seeing you and Abby together, you know that this was definetly god's plan. Your faith and your journey will inspire me as I wait. Thank you for giving me hope. The way your daughter has blossomed is truly unreal. My god bless you both always. Wendi

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christi, I can so relate to having an image of what it means to be a Christian mother. Your description of her mirrors what my own was, and as we both know, that is far from the reality of life! Abbey is such an incredibly blessed little girl to have you for a mommy. The white picket fence is only a mirage. What you give her is the real deal.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for sharing.
    I think your a beautiful woman,

    love Leontien

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Thank you Christi. I too understand the struggles you faced in deciding to become a single Mom. I have faced many of the same strugges and sought the Lord. Through prayer and seeking the council of my pastor and many caring, wise Christian friends, the Lord led me to adopt too.

    Thank you for sharing this with us! You're a great mom and I look forward to the day when I will be able to share in some of the wonderful experiences you have in being Abby's mom when I become a mom to Hannah.

    Praying for you.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Paulette said…

    I too have struggled for many years as to why God has me a single woman. I never imagined myself alone without a family. I am such a family oriented person. I know God has lead me on this journey I just never new it was going to require so much patients. You are such an inspiration to me thanks so much for sharing the process that has brought you and Abbey together. We walk such similar paths just at different times in different places.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    Christi, your words just melt my heart...I have never met you but I know you are such a beautiful shining star in God's creation!!! Abbey is so blessed to have you as her mommy and I am so glad that you didn't listen to what the world was telling you motherhood looked like and listened to God's most perfect plan! Can't wait to hear more.....Elise:)

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    You and Abbey are definitely a family and always will be, no matter where life takes you. I'm so happy God brought you two together.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Julie and Steve said…

    This is a beautiful post Christi. Thank you for putting into word they feelings that so many of us single moms and "single moms to be" are experiencing!

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger kerri said…

    Thanks for the outpouring from your heart, beautiful and moving.
    The process was soul searching but so worth it, your daughter is precious and what a happy family you are.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad that God led you to rethink what a "family" is so that you were open to be blessed by Him to be a single Mama to Abbey. You & all other parents adopting are always a blessing to the child. You are absolutely right that a home with a single parent is infinitely better than being in an orphanage! You all who adopt are providing the most important ingredient in a child's life--LOVE!
    Thank you for sharing from the depths of your heart your frailties and your willingness to think again about what you needed & how to get it!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    WOW.... I am overwhelmed with the responsiblity of being a single mom right now. This really puts it into perspective. I might not provide the ideal family for Tate, but I will provide the warm meals, and and an overwhelming LOVE.

    Lisa

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger k1 said…

    Hope your dad is doing better. Anxiously awaiting your next installment of your journey to becoming Abbey's mommy.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    I love this post and the one before it, Christi! I'm so glad that you were able to change your perception of family. You have been so blessed, and so has Abbey, because you were able to overcome your previous ideals. When I had the pleasure of visiting with you and Abbey, I just saw a beautiful family, not an incomplete family.

    Blessings to you both!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home