cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Here we go...


For many years I had a hole in my heart and a dream that never seemed to be within reach. There was one thing that I always wanted more than anything, and that was to be a mother. As the years stretched on as a single person a lot of patience and endurance was worked into my heart. As I approached my 40th birthday the sadness about not having a child began to feel unbearable. For a year or two I had a constant feeling of an hourglass with the time running out and a sun setting. Those two pictures were looming in my heart and mind at all times. Even if I were to meet someone and get married, by the time that all happened it would be too late. While out to lunch with a friend one day I shared this overwhelming sadness. She asked me if I had ever considered adoption. I was stunned. That sounded preposterous to me. How could I as a single woman ever manage to do such a thing? But a seed was planted there and it began to grow.
At that time I also felt a heightened conviction about two issues that had plagued me for years…fear and unbelief. I had no problem believing that God loved other people and would do wonderful things for them, but I really couldn’t get it from my head into my heart that He felt that way about me. I knew that faith pleases God and that doubt and unbelief offend Him, and yet I couldn’t seem to rid myself of these. I didn’t understand why God would bless others and never seemed to answer my deepest prayers. Many times I asked leaders if they could see anything wrong in my life that would keep me from experiencing God’s blessing, and they told me in tears that they really didn’t understand why God had me in the place that He did. The pathway that was opening up before me would free me from these bondages and answer the questions in my heart.

10 Comments:

  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger kerri said…

    God was waiting to put Abbey in your arms, he had a plan , he was waiting for her.
    Your patience was your reward.
    Thanks for sharing your story with us.

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger kitchu said…

    Beautiful, personal post. Thank you for sharing it, though I am of the mind that believes God is never offended by us, because he created us and loves us unconditionally- one of my favorite prayers? "Lord, help me in my unbelief"... simple. I struggle with my faith tirelessly.

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Thank you so much for sharing that.

    Although so different from what I 'planned', my life has turned out to be something for which I am so thankful and I know that will only grow - just as it has done for you.

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger Joanne said…

    I think it is so important for us to tell our story. I believe it really helps others. I still cannot bring myself to post our story...but I hope to someday :)

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    What a beautiful post Christi! I was married and childless and felt the same sadness. I had such a desire to be a mother. God made me be patient, but I truly see why I had to wait. These little children are such a blessing to parents of adoptees!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    IS this the first page of Abbey's life book? because it should be if not.

    Beverly

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    I loved this post! You write what I believe but it still tends to get lost at times in the frustration of the wait. Thank's for posting this and for the reminder :)

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Eileen said…

    So often you write what I also feel in my heart. I know now that if I didn't go through the years of unanswered prayers as I saw everyone around me getting married and having a family, that I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter today. I know that I was chosen by God to be her mother. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger A said…

    I am always amazed at how my path, at times, has been similar to those in the adoption circle eventhough we start out in such different places. Often times our prayers/thoughts are the same--especially this one--"I didn’t understand why God would bless others and never seemed to answer my deepest prayers." Thank you for sharing your story. How blessed Abbey is to have you for a mother.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was wonderful of you to post this exposing your deepest feelings to us. As you can see from the responses almost everyone else has felt as you do! God has perfect timing! Abbey was born for you to be her Mama--God knew the timing would be just right for you on the heels of the physical problem that you had. He knew it was going to lift you out of the despair and put the most wonderful smile on your face for all of eternity! Lots of Love & Prayers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home