cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thrill of Victory, Agony of Defeat

We had a fantastic weekend. It really felt like a breakthrough, even though we didn't know we needed one. I've been so happy with how well Abbey has done and so thankful for how we've bonded, so it's hard to explain how it improved but I'll try... Somehow she seemed more relaxed and secure. I was shocked when she was playing with her dollhouse and I walked from the living room into the kitchen to get something and she didn't fuss or run after me. That has never happened. She has always stayed within a couple of feet of me. It happened several more times through the weekend. It was like she finally believed that I am really not going anywhere without her. She also started trying to say a lot more things and use a lot more jargon. On Sunday she called out "Mama" in the car and I turned around and she was trying to give me a piece of her quesidilla. She has been saying "mamamamama" and patting me all along, but this was the first time that she really called me by name. It was so wonderful. My heart just soared! She's doing it several times a day now and it's just so thrilling. She also said "eye" this weekend and pointed to her eye and she said "boom-boom" coming down the stairs. She said "ball" over the weekend and the past few days she has said "bird" and "baby". Her "more" is getting better too. I know it all sounds so small, but in my heart it's like she aced her SAT's or constructed an Egyptian pyramid. So I was just floating along on cloud nine until my week really got started. Monday morning I came out to the car to find a little light on in the back seat that I never knew existed. It's right above her car seat and evidently she's aware of it. Fortunately my car started. Next came Black Tuesday. Monday night she really wouldn't eat her dinner. Later she was up during the night and ended up in bed with me. This hasn't happened in about 3 months. We were both short an 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. sleep when we headed out in the morning. I was carrying a lot of things out to the car with us when she stopped in her tracks and decided she wanted to be carried. I tried to scoop her up and she went over backwards and hit her head on the concrete. I was terrified and headed out to drive her towards the hospital and her daycare which are both right next to each other, trying to decide what to do as I drove. She seemed okay but very "un-chipper". I was able to call the doctor and they said that if I wasn't seeing the symptoms they listed that I didn't need to bring her in. I was so overwhelmed all day and kept calling her daycare, where thankfully she was dancing and doing puzzles. Alot of people shared with me that these things happen, but it is so awful to feel like you've failed in keeping your child safe. Oh, but it wasn't over. The next morning we went out to the car and while I was putting everything in she managed to hit the auto door lock without me knowing it. I put her in her seat with a huge fluffy coat on, shut the door and went around the car to get in. I can't tell you how I felt when I realized what had happened. She was locked in the car with my phone and my house keys. Incredibly my neighbor, whom I never see in the morning, came out to her garage. She stayed with Abbey and let me run in her house to call 911. The fire department sent a truck. They got there in about 2 minutes and got the door open really quickly. Abbey was smiling and waving at them. For the second day in a row I had to call the principal and explain why I would be late. I've really struggled this week with feeling so incompetent. If you are wanting to flame me, don't bother... you couldn't possibly be harder on me than I have been on myself. I know I won't be making those same mistakes again, but I am afraid of what other things I could do. I am so grateful to God that she wasn't hurt and that people were there to help me. So we had some mountain high peaks over the weekend and came crashing down to the valley this week.

28 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never get tired of seeing her. Such a cutie! And I love the mural on the wall.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She's so adorable! That last picture just makes me smile back at her. =)


    PS- I just realized your profile needs some updating to officially state that you've got your forever baby!

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Cherith said…

    AWWW don't worry hon! That has happened to more moms than you would belive. I was on my way to school one morning (I am also a teacher) and needed to make a quick stop at the grocery store. I STILL don't know how I managed it, but I locked my 6 month old son in the car with the keys. An employee in the parking lot called 911 and TWO fire trucks responded to the call with sirens and lights going!! They pulled into the parking lot and blocked in a TON of cars, all of people who needed to get to work just as much as I did. I was SO embarrassed.

    I am so sorry that happened to you, but you are doing a fabulous job. She is such a darling little girl!

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Cherith said…

    had to come back and reassure you again, as I just remembered the time whem my husband let our 1 year old son slip head first down his back, he was sitting on my hubby's shoulders, thinking that I was there to catch him. He fell headfirst onto the driveway from my husband's shoulders. Hubby is 6 feet tall, it was quite a drop. You are a great mom! this stuff happens to everyone.

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christi,
    You are such a wonderful mom. It shows through your words and your thriving beautiful little girl. Don't be hard on yourself. I know I have been. Then I realize that I have done the best that I know to do and things do happen in mommyhood! Keep your chin up! We are all in this together. Kolleen in PA

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Oh Christi, I can tell from your blog entries that you are a most EXCELLENT mom!!!! Don't feel bad! These things happen. I'll bet every single mom out there can tell stories like this. (I have a few of my own, LOL.)

    Your daughter is beautiful!

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger ~ Alison said…

    'Mommy guilt' is the WORST emotion. Please, don't let it eat you alive. Your daughter will see that you are human - no one is perfect. Mommies make mistakes, too. Abbey knows she's loved!

    Ok, so here are a few of the things I've done (they were all accidents!!):

    * I shut Mali's fingers in the car door (OUCH!)

    * I forgot to strap her into her stroller & then hit the (uneven level) bump going into the elevator - she went flying out onto her face. My own Mom was there to make me feel worse than I already did =/

    * Just last week I pulled out my back - & when I (attempted) to place her into her carseat, she somehow landed face down on the floor of the car (squished between the seats). I felt awful - Mali laughed.

    I'm sure more incidents have occured, but I just can't think of anything else right now. These things just happen - we all have our moments. Hey, our intentions are good =)

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    Welcome to the world of motherhood. Don't be to hard on yourself!! I think most of us who are moms can say.. BTDT!! I think the two of you sound like you are coming along beautifully Mama"

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Those are the lessons and experiences Moms learn!

    Don't be too hard on yourself.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger A said…

    I am amazed at how much she is growing and changing. She is so cute!! Sorry you are struggling with feeling guilty. It just shows how much you love and care for her. Hope you have a great weekend.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    When Peter was 13months old, we met his birthfather. All went great until we were ready to leave and Peter wanted to push his own stroller and it got away from him and he slammed his forehead on the brick walkway - right in front of his birthfater! Try explaining that you really are good parents to the birthfather when something like that happens!
    My friend accidentally locked her son in the car too and the FD came out. Her husband heard the call on his radio (he works for the water dept) and when he pulled in all the firemen (who he is friends with) said, "Hey, it's Dave!" She was horribly embarrassed and was hoping to stay anonymous, but it didn't work.

    Stuff happens.

    Teresa

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Steffie B. said…

    Don't be too hard on yourself. Things happen, it is all part of being a "mama I'm so glad to hear what a wonderful time you were having before all the craziness occured. It sounds like she is doing wonderful!

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said…

    You are right these things happen and mommies just heap guilt upon guilt on themselves. I have a bad habit of locking my keys in the car anyway so I have a keypad (got long before parenthood) just for the reason.

    You will get the hang of it and thankfully and surprisingly, she won't stay mad at you. We have all been there. Try not to be sooo hard on yourself.

    Beverly & Glenys

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    We all feel like we're the worst moms in the world from time to time. But I'm sure Abbey thinks you're the best mommy, so don't get too wigged out when you have a bad day. You just get up the next morning and start all over again!

    PS cute pics, as usual!

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christy, we would NEVER flame you. You are wonderful and loving mother. Don't be so hard on yourself. We have all been there at one time or another! Abbey gets cuter every time. I love seeing her smiling face.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Beckyb said…

    Oh man - if I shared with you all the times I've bumbled as a mom - you'd be in shock. Hang in there - God's grace covers it all - you are doing a great job!!

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Take a deep breath! You made it through all that. She's okay, and she's making wonderful progress!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger TK said…

    If I had to get my daughter to school every morning, I would be late every day! I applaud you for doing it by yourself.
    My car has those auto buttons on the outside, which is the only reason the locked in thing hasn't happened to me now. But DH's doesn't have them. He locks his in all the time. He has one of those magnetic key holders with a car key in it. He sticks it under the tire area and uses it when needed. You might want to do that. They come in HANDY!

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    She looks great! Who would even consider flaming you?? You are doing a wonderful job and Abbey is blooming. Things like this happen at times to all parents. I think it just seems harder when it's your own child.

    By the way remind of that when it is finally my turn :)

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with everyone..don't be so hard on yourself...the only thing I would suggest though..don't pick Abby up if your arms are full with stuff next time...it won't hurt her to wait to be picked up...

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Kelly S. said…

    Hey Christi!

    Isn't life great! We love reading about your adventures.

    Wow, it seems it was a week for the "MaMa" word - did you read what happened to us? See the Hallelujah! post:
    http://www.kellysblahblah.blogspot.com/

    Five months, and FINALLY!

    sparkly wishes,
    your China traveling buddies from Texas

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Christie, I checked in with your blog, as I was sitting down writing mine, on much the same theme. Our girls, adopted at the same time, are both really settling in at the same time too. BTW Emma played the train video over and over and over... wish we had one nearby!

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I pulled my blazer in the garage in Idaho and got out and hit the lock button not the unlock button and my now 15 yr old was in the car...sleeping at age 4 months!!!!!
    the local Idaho police refused to come, I had to call a locksmith!
    never forgot that one. :)

    Hang in there.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Sometimes it's so hard being a single Mom with all the responsibilies on your shoulders- I think you handle everything with dignity and grace.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Angel said…

    Yep, I've done both of those things. Don't beat yourself up, it is just life as a mom.

    You're doing great!

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Christi--I second everyone else! Even though I am not a Mom I can understand your feeling badly. I feel badly when I mess up to--it almost has nothing to do with the child--it's just life in the fast lane! You are a GREAT MAMA & Abbey darling is one lucky little chickie! By the way she is acting now she nows how blessed she is. I know that you feel totally blessed by God to have her in your life. I feel lucky that she is in my life also & I am a lucky poster who gets to see her every week! She is growing by leaps & bounds so fast it is hard to believe. Today at church she told Lindy HI & then promptly would not say HI to Salome no matter how hard Salome tried to get her to repeat her feat! She shared a grape with me & stuffed it in my mouth & then brought another grape over & then stuffed it in her own mouth! What a prankster I think she will end up being! She is such a sweetheart & so very quick to learn what is shown to her! She will be jabbering up a "perfect storm" very shortly! Lots of Love & Prayers!

     
  • At 2:14 AM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    She is beautiful! I can't wait to tell stories on myself of all the things that go wrong - hopefully we can all laugh about it afterwards.
    Don't waste energy beating yourself up!
    Peace and love,

    Alyson

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Ah, Christi, the bad has to come with the good -- that's what makes the good so good!

    ZZ looks, as always, darling and happy and so incredibly sweet. Such a sweet little gal.

    You're doing a good job, Mama, keep it up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home