cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Great Saturday

Oh it is so nice to spend a day with my girl! I was overjoyed to sleep in until 6:48 a.m. I looked at the clock and couldn't believe my eyes, the luxury of it all after being back on a work schedule. We had so much fun today. We have just discovered Elmo on TV this week. I never knew how adorable he is. We awoke today to find him doing a special on doctors and STETHESCOPES! Abbey's jaw was hanging open and her eyes fixed in rapture. It was fabulous. After a warm bottle and waffles she got to take a super long bubble bath. We went to Starbucks and mama got a cinnamon dolce latte. To our delight the trash truck came to Starbucks and we got to see them lift the dumpster overhead on the truck. Again Abbey was awestruck. We went to the park and stayed twice as long as normal and were able to meet two Chinese mommies and their kids. They invited us for a playdate and talked to Abbey a little bit in Cantonese, but they also know Mandarin and are happy to help us. It was warm enough (after freezing weather this week) to wear light sweaters and our capri jeans. We came home and played with all the toys that are now new again after being at daycare all week.
Abbey's sign language has really taken off and I love to see her communicating so much. She is working on please, clean, bird, and fish. Her caregiver and I are a little perplexed because now that she knows please we both have a hard time resisting her requests.
Abbey has fallen in love with dogs. She really didn't understand what animals were in books or pictures when I got her. Now that she has been around a real dog named Colby at her daycare, she is hooked. She signs for dogs all the time and has become VERY attached to a little stuffed dog that Johanna got her, as you will see in all the pictures in the post below. She loves to give him kisses and sleeps with him every night. We got to pet a dog named Sadie who was out for a walk today. Abbey's daycare went to the pet store this week too.
We made it through our second week of work somehow. We ate alot of roast beef and potatoes that I had made in the crockpot Sunday. Our single-adopt-china group had advised me to get a crockpot that switches to warm after the cook time ends. It also has a lift out pot (they probably all do now) that you can throw in the fridge and easily wash out. I am going to be using Fix-It & Forget-It Lightly: Healthy Lowfat Recipes for Your Slow-Cooker by Phyllis Pelman Good every week and finding out what we like. I am so blessed that Abbey is such a good eater and sleeper.
This is her first offical coloring page, a doggie of course. Also, we have her first "craft", a kite that she put a few blue crayon marks on. We flew it today at the park and she was so delighted. A little boy tried to tell us it was not really a kite, that it was a paper plate, but we know better.

Oh, and Abbey is 21 months old today!

19 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Thanks for the update! It sounds like you girls are having a wonderful weekend.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger A said…

    It is amazing how much she is changing. She seems so happy! Thanks for the update.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Honestly...Abbey gets cuter every day. And I agree...the slow cooker is a working mom's best friend!

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so happy to see pictures of abbey. she looks so happy and so secure. be proud of yourself, you are doing something so right to get those beautiful smiles. been following your story for a while and i'm so happy to see how well everything is going. waiting for lauren elizabeths gramma...

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Eliza2006 said…

    I love the lighting in that 1st pic. Abbey is so cute! Aren't the weekends the best?!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    Oh how I love Abbey updates, what a lovely Saturday you had just spending the day together!

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Blogger dreamer said…

    What I love most about this post is that I remember what it's like to see the world through the eyes of the child. where even the trash collector is a wonder to behold... Wishing life was always that wonderous, fresh and new.

    THanks for the post, it started my Sunday off beautifully.

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    I had trouble posting - so I hope this doesn't double post.

    I usually just a lurker, but I have to comment today. I am a teacher also, and I love crockpot recipes. I have two - no three really great ones - one for spaghetti sauce, one for a chicken dish, and one for roast beef sandwich meat. They are awesome, but too long for your comment section. If you'd like them, just email me!

    sjwaits@aol.com

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    Abbey is continuing to thrive with your love!! From the looks of your "refrigerator art" you may have an artist on your hands! ;) Thanks so much for sharing!!!

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Thanks for catching us up on things.

    Please let me know how that cookbook works out for you. I'm doing the crockpot thing and hoping to find some great lowfat recipies :0)

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christi, she has changed so much; what a happy little girls she is. That sounds like a perfect day to me!!!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Great suggestion for the crock pot- I'm definately going to try that when I go back to work.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember months ago when you initially received your referral in which you had mentioned that there might be reasons for not accepting the referral--then I lost track for a while--I am SOOO glad that everything has worked out. You sound happy and Abbey certainly LOOKS happy. .no. .make that joyous--what a sweetie she is--your journey has just begun.
    God Bless you both

    Sarah's LaoLao
    sarahs-adventures.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, Ok. After hearing Rebecca at church today, I feel inclined to comment!
    I love seeing Abbey's milestones and growth. I can't wait for Mailee to catch up a little and they can love dogs and doctor kits together! It is so fun to watch our little girls that we dreamed of together!

    Love you,
    Amanda

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    I can't believe how much Abbey is changing. You are both having a positive effect on each other and it shows in her beautiful smiles and your beautiful posts.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Robin said…

    I can't believe how much Abbey is changing. You are both having a positive effect on each other and it shows in her beautiful smiles and your beautiful posts.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    This post just made me feel good all over... Abbey is responding so wonderfully to your love... I don't know how you find time to post so often, but it is always such a pleasure to read about your adventures (and mis-adventures too).

     
  • At 12:50 AM, Blogger Emma said…

    This is such a heart-warming and lovely post. I'm glad things are going really well. Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can tell from reading all the other comments before me that we all wait to see what's happening with little Miss Abbey! I do wonder how you have time to do this but I guess once she is down for the night it can work out! I do appreciate that you take the time to post & keep us up to date on your little darling!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home