cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Don't Be Alarmed

Well, we couldn't let a week go by without a fiasco, we wouldn't want you all to get bored.
On Tuesday Abbey discovered the panel on the stairwell for a security alarm. When I moved in my real estate agent told me that there was an alarm system but that if I wanted to use it I would need to call the company to activate it. I never did and have never paid any attention to it since. When Abbey played with the buttons I thought it was great that she was having so much fun but got a little concerned when a red "armed" light came on. Being exhausted as I was, I tried pushing a few buttons on it and then just went on to bed. The next day as we walked out of the house at 7 a.m. you can guess what happened. At first there was just a little beep and I thought, "oh, we are fine". Well, as M3 would say, he he he...Suddenly massive sirens went off and would not stop. The only thing Abbey is really afraid of is loud noises, and she was rendered silent by the shock and awe of it all. My poor neighbors, they must wonder what in the world I will do each day. I called 411 and although they could not find the alarm company they found some one they thought could service it. I called and I think this man answered from his home. He was so kind and walked me through step by step - unscrewing the box, disabling the power, removing the back up battery, etc. I had to do all this holding Abbey who was clinging on to me for dear life, and of course since this was the source of the alarm it was extremely loud. We were both bundled up in our coats and now getting very hot, but didn't want to quit working on it to take them off, it was quite the situation. Anyway, I was so grateful for this man helping me and for the 411 person going the extra mile. I always hope that I will respond like that when someone needs my help. Abbey was quiet as a mouse the whole drive to childcare with just a few little "ooh's and aah's" along the way. I think she knew she had done something very powerful. Of course like the pooptastrophe, and the key/sewer incident, and the blue sprinkles, this was really once again all my doing. Everyday she is training me to be a better toddler mommy. My lesson for the week was don't let your baby play with alarm systems. My silver lining is that I think I will call the person that helped me back and have him get the system all set up for me and show me how to use it.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Oh, my gosh! I have an alarm and I know how terrifying that sound is! I can only imagine your alarm at having that go off! Yikes!

    On the other hand, I think it's a good thing to have your alarm system activated. I sleep easier at night because of mine. I figure the bad guys (if they wander into my neighborhood), will go bother someone else instead of the houses with alarm systems. :-)

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How scary, good thing everyone was so helpful!

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I did that myself...just try to ignore that beep ;0)

    Fortunately, I like to believe my access panels will be out of Jadyn's reach for a long time to come. Hah, there I go being delusional again!

    I'm happy to hear everyone was so helpful.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my goodness what a day! We have an alarm and it is always set at night and when we leave...It is so worth the $40/month for peace of mind. Also did you know if you call your home insurance company and give them a copy of your alarm certificate you get an annual ins discount?
    ours has fire too so glad as we all sleep sooooo soundly and have slept thru the actual ceiling chirping smoke detector but the house one...yikes thought I would go deaf!
    thanks for the update

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    What a nightmare! We have an alarm system, but Emma's never messed with it. However, she did accidentally call 9-1-1 once when she was a baby!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    poor you and Abbey! They make such loud noises. Like Joannah I too rest a little easier with an alarm.
    It sounds like everyone was so kind and helpful, how wonderful!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Girl- you have the craziest things happen! Ya gotta laugh. I think you will be happy getting the home alarm up and running. I feel so much safer with mine.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    Oh my! What an ordeal! You are definitely earning your mommy stripes the hard way. But in spite of all the crazy things that have happened... dontcha feel so proud of yourself afterwards? You handled it. You go girl!

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You and ZZ/Abbey have quite a saga going with all the wild things that have happened to you. I can hardly wait until she is older & can read all this stuff. I am sure you will laugh so hard! I know that it is quite disconcerting at the time but after a day or so when you think it is pretty funny! The toddlers can find more things to do & undo that one could every imagine. Vigilance is the key word!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home