cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Monday, November 20, 2006

Well, since you all don't mind....

I feel the need to brag some more about my baby. She is just so good! As it says in Ephesians, God has done exceedingly, abundantly above all that I could ever ask or think. My mom stayed up in the night with her and kept it dark and quiet, no playing, and I slept on with my Tylenol PM. I woke her up around 8 and took her to her Dr's appt. He was really great, but she wasn't thrilled with being stripped down and examined. I was sad to find out that she weighs only 19 lbs. Today she turned 19 months. The Dr was appalled that she had never been given solid foods, with his other Chinese adoptees this has never come up, but I am assuming most of them were younger and therefore it is not surprising to have them still on bottles. I told him she was happy to try any table foods I give her, but no baby food, yogurt, juice, or water. He said that it would take time for her to get used to trying different things and that because of the oral defensiveness we could get her some occupational therapy through early intervention. I had been hoping for that. She did not want to show him that she could walk. Her height and head size were good. We will go to see a neurosurgeon just to rule out the earlier concerns we had for her, but the ped thinks she looks good. We found that she has an ear infection in addition to the bronchitis and were able to get a new antibiotic. I thought that was coming because she has been rubbing her ear. I can't imagine what she must be like when she feels good, because she is so sweet even with all this pain. We decided to wait until next time to start the vaccines, but we did take her to the hospital to start all her lab work. I hated to hold her down for that. Can I please have another mommmy badge? I was glad that it wasn't done at the Dr.'s office and that she won't associate him with that. I tried to take her for a McDonalds ice cream afterwards but she wouldn't try it so I ate both of ours and decided it was my reward too because the whole proceedure seemed to be as hard for me as it was for her. After all that I sent my mom home to recupperate but told her to be ready for another round within the next week or two. I know I can be a mom in a 5 star hotel with a breakfast buffet and maids, but can I do it on my own at home? We shall see tomorrow.
I have to wake her up from her naps and sleep times in order to try to beat the jet lag. It's hard because I can barely keep my own eyes open. My niece and BIL came over to play with her after her nap. She was reserved and quiet but towards the end she let my niece hold her and she was very impressed with Bob allowing her to play with his REAL cell phone. After they left we did her bath, which she loved and then just played. She seemed more comfortable than ever before and started walking around the house and playing with things of her own initiative. She does some adorable babbling and got much more animated with her "talking" and expressions.
Before she came home I did tons of babyproofing, I started a year and a half ago. Most of it I am happy with but she pulled the little soft corners right off all the sharp furniture, and it pulled some paint off too. I had removed all my lamps except one floor lamp that I really need. I thought I had it between some furniture where she wouldn't get it, but she went right for it. I am going to see if I can bolt it to the wall. Also, I had put a lock on the glass fireplace enclosure and thought she wouldn't be interested in that, but again, she went straight for the glass to bang on so I've put a port-a-crib in front of it and will be shopping for solutions tomorrow.
She is just darling as she interacts with me and she is as in love with me as I am with her. We both just want to laugh and be together every moment. We both find each other hysterical. I cannot believe how blessed I am to have this child in my life and to have her as my daughter is my greatest honor. Thank you God! Thank you China! Thank you all friends who gave me courage!

16 Comments:

  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah so glad to hear she is doing so well despite being little. Don't worry! My youngest is only 26 pounds and he is 42 months old he is a peanut, his brother was a michelin man fat rolls baby now 5'10" 140 at 14 yikes!!
    Did they test her titers for the shots, maybe she won't need so many? Glad ya waited until she is off antibiotics for that :)
    Enjoy laughing and playing that is great news! Happy Thanksgiving mommy and daughter

     
  • At 3:09 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Wow- what a wonderful post. I'm so glad she and you have bonded so well. Also glad you like your pediatrition, 'cause you will be seeing a lot of him!

     
  • At 3:22 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Oh, that is so lovely to hear. She sounds adorable and very happy. lily was tiny too but not that small, dont worry she will catch up pronto! Where are the photos??????

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    What a wonderful post, Christi! You obviously are a match made in heaven! Blessings to you both!

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    What a heartfelt, wonderful post. Your love truly shows through your words. I can only imagine seeing it shine through in person. Hope the jetlag ends very soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    So happy for you! It sounds like you are all adjusting well.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I am so happy to see your beautiful posts aqbout your girl :0)

    Uh oh...I'm in trouble in the child-proofing dept. Glass top tables, lamps, fireplace of fun! The only thing I really prepared for is child locks on the cabinets. This should get interesting!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger 3 Countries 1 Love said…

    Christi,

    Just want to offer you some reassurance about Abbey's weight and the food issues. Vivi just turned 3 years old this month and is STILL 19 pounds!!! But she's as healthy as can be and I no longer worry about her size (and neither does the pediatrician). Bella came home 8 months ago and she was also only given a bottle/no solid foods and she was 33 months old!!!!! She loves food and has done remarkable, all things considered, but she is getting some OT.

    Best of luck; sounds like you guys are doing wonderful!

    Shannon

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Hey Christi,

    Everything sounds like it's going well for you and sweet ZZ.

    I'm just wondering where you picked up your mommy sash, 'cause I need one too. I must have missed that shop on Shamian Island. Do you only get badges when you do stupid things, or for the great things as well?

    Don't get into the bad habit of eating two servings of ice cream -- that's not a good idea!

    All our best,

    Kelly, Eric & the kids

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christi, I am so happy for you...

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, have loved following your posts. Enjoy motherhood and let your little one progress on her own time - with your love and care she will. We adopted last year and even though our daughter was younger she was still behind on the North American bench marks. There would be only one thing I would do differently, and that is not to worry about her progress, but work with and enjoy each stage. We live in a smaller northern community, and a lot of our professionals don't have exprience with children adopted from foreign countries. Some of them caused worry needlessly. Our daughter has a bit of an eating issue, we were told she was eating solids at 9 months and only had two formula bottles a day. When we got she was only 13 lbs (9 months) and VERY hungry. She drank an 8 oz. bottle every 2 hours for weeks. We continue to struggle with her eating as when she is hungry all she wants is her bottle. Abby's eating video looked great to me! I am a kindergarten teacher, and you will find that your traing will help you. Have confidence in what you feel is right because you know your child best! Congratulations from northern British Columbia

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Oh Christi, I'm so very, very happy for you!

    Abbey is doing so well and you're doing great too! Glad to hear you're easing out of the jetlag and into a bit of normalycy at home. What fun the two of you must have exploring your home in a whole new way!

    Blessings!

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger D said…

    I'm so glad things are going so well!

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for writing all your updates. What a blessing to hear all the stories. I am truly gonna
    miss reading your blog everyday when you slow down and stop writing! She's doing great with her eating. I have a patient who is 12 mths and has never eatten food do to medical reasons and she started eatting today or should I say, put the spoon in her mouth and spit out anything that happend to land in her mouth (and that was only apple sauce). It's great that she doesn't have an adversion to food entering her mouth.
    I'm glad that everything is going so great for you. My hope is that anyone who want's to adopt will find the courage and the hope that you have shared with all of us!
    Don't worry about not being able to sleep, I only recently started sleeping through the night and as you know my boys are 23 & 21! There's always something;)
    Welcome home!!
    Love, Colleen

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Christie said…

    Christi - she's beautiful, and you can tell from looking at the video and pictures that you two are perfectly happy together!

    Big Happy Hug - now come on referrals...

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Christi - Your post warms my heart. I'm so happy you are experiencing this. She is a little doll. Congrats.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home