cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Coming Home


Well, I can't believe that I have not posted since Tuesday. Everything is a blur now and I can only really remember the last 48 hrs. Friday morning I woke up with a full blown massive migraine. I packed and did last minute shopping. I had to buy a gigantic suitcase to bring all our treasures home, luckily they are $15 dollars there. Even so, it barely all fit. I left a lot behind at Jennifer's Place. It's a shop that has shelves for parents to leave meds and baby things they didn't use for parents who are arriving. We then went to the US Consulate and they had a special swearing in ceremony for us because of National Adoption Day. There were 61 babies there, about 250-300 people. They said that this year they've only done 7,000 adoptions, down from the 8,000 they did the year before. They said they are working on behalf of waiting parents to improve the situation and seemed genuinely happy to see all these children being adopted. I left with four other families to go straignt to the airport and fly out that eve. Most of our group went back to the hotel and would be leaving the next morning, bags out at 5:10 a.m and leaving at 6. I was so glad that we were going when it was nightime for the babies. The dreadful thing is that we flew China Southern Economy. I've never seen anything like it. You are packed in so tight you can't move at all. I will never do that again. Other friends have recommended Cathay Pacific. Fortunately this flight was not packed as our last one had been and I had an empty seat next to me to lay Abbey in. She did pretty well on the flight, I did not. After throwing up from the migraine I put the barf bag in the seat pocket (I was pretty incoherent). While I closed my eyes Abbey took it out and poured it all over both of us. Nice. I need another badge on my mommy sash. I had canker sores so big they had merged together inside my lip and were throbbing, even on tons of vicoden. I also had a sinus-throat- ear thing going on. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I considered asking them to land the plane, but we were over the ocean. At one point I asked the stewardess how much longer and when she said 6 hrs I just about lost it. When we finally landed Abbey melted down in customs and immigration. I think they felt sorry for us and hurried us through. I began having thoughts of, "What have I done? What was I thinking that I could do this? " I was feeling like I couldn't take care of Abbey one more minute, and then we saw my mom. I couldn't wait to hand my baby off to her! I was very happy that Abbey went in her car seat with just a little fuss. When we finally got home there were big "Congratulations" signs and "It's a girl!" from my sister along with pink balloons (which ZZ loves). There were Christmas outfits for Abbey from her and Rebecca and Joyce. My sister and my friend Ashley had gotten us groceries, and I can't tell you how helpful that was to be able to give Abbey things right away. I went straight to bed and my mom stayed up with Abbey until midnight then we put her in bed with me and she slept until I woke her up at 8:30 a.m. The two things I said I would not be doing, having her sleep with me and eating in the carseat, she did withing her first few hours home. It all goes out the window when you are in survival mode. I woke up feeling like a different person, still a little sick, but nothing like the flight from H-E-double hockey sticks! Abbey had her first bath at home and loved it. She likes her high chair too. We went to a picnic for National Adoption Day and got to see some of my friends that have been so helpful and encouraging. ZZ loved the ducks and the children. We just stayed for a little while, I wanted to get her into the sunshine to help reset her body clock with night and day. We went home and took naps and she went in her crib for the first time with no problem except that I had a fun light up musical toy strapped in their that she loved and I had to get her all calmed down after that. My friends Scott and Kim brough us Mexican food for dinner, yea! They also brought us a pretty orchid and a big pink hippo for Abbey. My sister and my niece came over and Abbey decided to do a big trick for us all and walk to Lao Lao and then back to me. She loved it that we all clapped for her. I am glad she felt comfortable enough to show everyone that she can walk, even though she doesn't want to right now. She went to bed nicely in her crib and I am thrilled that we are doing so well with the sleep and time changes so far. My friends have warned me though that sometimes it doesn't hit until the 2 nd or 3 rd day, but I think so far so good. Tomorrow I am going to put one of her Chinese outfits on and take her up to church for just a little bit. Monday I have her first Dr's appt at 9:15 a.m. and I can't wait to have him check out her bronchitis. She does seem much better.
Already the White Swan is seeming like a dream. I loved it there and know I will go back someday with Abbey.

25 Comments:

  • At 4:00 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Welcome home Mummy and baby. Not quite the home coming we had wanted to read about, but oh well you made it.
    Now the fun can really begin.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Welcome Home Momma & Abbey! Reading about your homecoming brings back so many memories of my own... questions like 'what have I done?', 'I must've been crazy to think I could do this on my own' etc, so you're not alone. But the reality is, You've made your DREAM COME TRUE, and most importantly... "YOU CAN DO THIS and it HELPS if you're just a 'little' crazy!" hehehehe

    Hang in there hon... you need ANYTHING, you know our digits. *hugs*

    -Amy & Ruby Cate

    ps. Doctors won't typically give you anything for bronchitis, however push for some penicillin & couple that with 'infants tylenol' drops to help bring down any/all fever & you'll do just fine. And yes you can give both of those things simultaneously. =)

     
  • At 6:05 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Welcome home sweet mama! I am gald you and ZZ are safely home and settling in.

    Sorry about feeling so awful! I know each and every one of us will have that moment of 'What was I thinking?' during this experience. At least you learned, in fact, very early on that you DO get through and that you have awesome help when you need it.

    Hugs to both and feel better!

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    I'm so glad that you are home safely, but I'm sorry that you have not been feeling well.

    I hope this week is a good period of adjustment for you and Abbey and that you will have a blessed Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home, friend!!!! So sorry it was so bad flying home....but at least it has past now...and you are HOME with your sweet, beautilful Abbey!!!! Happy Thanksgiving....

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home! The flight sounds terrible... no Imitrex or other migraine medecine??

    As for thinking, "What have I done?" even bio parents think that the first time things are tough. I still think it sometimes and my oldest is 6.5!!!

    Looking forward to seeing more pictures of that beautiful child of yours.

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Welcome Home! The fun reality is now and you are going to love every moment. Even the hard ones!
    Hang in there and enjoy this time with ZZ.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    So glad your horrible plane ordeal is over. I've been paranoid about migraines too and have been visiting a chiroprator before my trip in 3 days. So glad you are home and your new life together as a family can really begin! Happy Thanksgiving.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It was such a treat to see you and Abbey at the picnic yesterday and a big THANK YOU for putting the picture of Abbey and Caroline. You were such an inspiration to everyone there! Abbey is just beautiful and was just watching and observing everything around her and soaking it all in. She is just a treasure (as you already know!).

    Congratulations on a successful journey so far.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so sorry you ended up with a migraine on the way home. I had to chuckle when you said ZZ dumped the puke on both of you--funny but at the time you were probably ready to croak! Kids can do the darnedst things! I am glad to hear that you are feeling much better. I was wondering why you were not posting but now I understand. I was not sure when you were coming back. I hope to be able to see you & to meet ZZ soon. Lots of Love and Kisses & Tons of Prayers to Both of You--now you are a family by the grace of God!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger ~ Alison said…

    Ohhhh yes, the 'what have I done' moments . . . hehe. We've all been there! The most difficult times (I think) are definitely when I'm not feeling well - they pass, and u just somehow find the strength do it.

    I took 2 pain pills for a migraine on the way home, too - but my little incident wasn't nearly as awful as yours. I'm glad to hear you're home safe & sound - and sleeping well! (<~~~ that's HUGE!!!).

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    Oh boy... I'm so sorry that trip home was so hard. Glad to see you both made it safe and sound. Things will get better. You just need to get well. Take care of yourself and like someone else said ... accept all the help you can. Welcome home Mommy and Abbey!

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger RoLo said…

    Welcome Home, sorry to hear that the journey back was not so good, but we are glad that you are home. Now you can start settling in to your new forever family routine.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Glinda said…

    Welcome Home,

    The first thing that came to mind while reading was--that which does not kill you makes you stronger...consider yourself very strong.

    I admire your moxie.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome Home!! I'm glad that you both made it home safe and sound. Once Abbey is a little older, I bet the puke story will be one of Abbey's favorite for years to come and you will both giggle outrageously every time she tells it.

    Laura

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Christi & Abbey,

    Welcome home! It feels good to be home, doesn't it? I have to say, though, you win on the awfulest flight home category (although Katie threw up all over Eric and herself about 8 hours into our 14.5 flight).

    You're strong, you're together, you're home!

    Congratulations. I loved hanging out with you and your beautiful ZZ for 2 1/2 weeks. Keep in touch.

    Kelly (& Eric, Joe, Kegan, Toby & Katie)

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Welcome home Christi! What a blessing to know that you're home with your precious ZZ and are starting to settle into a routine that will work best for you. Love that you 'broke' 2 of your own rules immediately. Yup...that's a great Mommy when your childs wants/needs are more important than the rules! You're doing great!!!

    Blessings, Catherine

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome HOME and Happy Thanksgiving! WE here in the desert have ALWAYS broke the "no one will eat in the new car rule" It lasts about a few hours! lol We also feed them in the carseat and I swore I never would...gotta love goldfish crackers or ritz bits in traffic with a hungry baby.
    Sorry to hear you got soooo sick. Did you not fly China Southern economy going over?
    welcome home again.xxx hugs

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so happy to see that you are both home safe and sound. Sorry about the air flight, I too am dreading that the most. Congrats on making the trip and on your beautiful baby girl. Blessings to you both.
    ::HUGS::
    Leigh

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home and CONGRATULATIONS! You and your daughter are now home! Abbey is ADORABLE! And I can relate about feeling horrible on the plane. One time I had the worst sinus infection I have ever had, and during landings/takeoff it was THE worst pain I have ever felt in my life. My head was throbbing and killing me. So I can sympathize and I'm glad that's over for you! Now the real fun begins :)

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger k1 said…

    Christi,

    Hi. After reading Kelly's, Mike's, and now your blogs, I am almost feeling guilty for having a troubleless flight home. There were several adopted babies on my first flight, and two of them cried a bit, but nothing major. The worst of it was the definite odor of dirty diaper that wafted through the cabin now and again.

    It was really great to meet you, Gene, and ZZ/Abbey. She is a sweetheart. Actually, you are all sweethearts. Hope Gene got lots of great photos for you to put in Abbey's book.

    I'm glad you are all feeling better too.

    Karen in Washington (K1)

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Linda Adams said…

    WHAT a story. That beats ANYTHING I have experienced flying with babies. Wow - may this be an empowering experience for you! And I do hope you will look back and laugh some day. We've been thinking about you so much as you've been transitioning to home life. Welcome home!

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger OziMum said…

    OOo Christi! How awful to have a migrane for the last couple of days. And the barf bag... ewww!!!
    Life as a Mum!!!

    I'm so glad Abbey has settled in quite well. Had to laugh, that the things you said you wouldn't do... you have. We all do it, Luv! But it's good to have a plan, even if its not adhered to thoroughly!!!

    Remember... nothing is impossible with Christ. You're a fantastic mother.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate to say, but I love reading the horror stories... it really sounds honest and yes you deserve more mommy medals! Dumping the airsick bag on you! yikes! I am glad you got home safely and had people waiting to care for you. Best wishes for getting back into the North American swing of things with ZhuoZhuo.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    It's nice to know what can happen so you have a plan - sort of. I don't get migraines but I have had my own fears of what could happen on the way home. I don't think there will be much routine the first few days. Rest and enjoy your sweet girl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home