cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Happy Camper

When I posted a couple of days ago and said that the surgery went amazingly well I was on a lot of drugs. Once those wore off I was very uncomfortable. Thankfully today the torture device (aka a stint) was removed. I am back on my vicoden and feeling good again. The worst is over.
I did some very unwise things yesterday that contributed to my hardships. Please glean what you can from my mistakes. I learned that:


1. The paperwork hassles are not over at referral. They extend into the horizon with post-placement, re-adoption, SS cards, etc. Be prepared for the long-haul.
2. Although being stubborn is not good, perservering is.
3. Do not try to save money in this process, it will only cause you needless pain and suffering.

Although I could barely walk, much less sit in the car, I decided that I needed to pay my agency for my trip right away, the deadline is Monday. You can easily do this by credit card, but I wanted to save $100 by paying cash and getting a discount. I hobbled to the car and gingerly sat to drive to the Post Office for a money order. After waiting through the line I was informed that there is a $1k limit on money orders, therefore I would need to get 4. I would also need to fill out a special form and show picture ID. I then realized I had removed my ID for the surgery and it was now at home. Still cheerful, I ventured back home and painstakinly went up the stairs and got the ID. Upon my return back to the Post Office I saw that my teller was gone, so I waited through the line again. This time I had a new gal who had never handled money orders this big. After some assistance we were finally able to get it worked out only to have my swiped card DECLINED! Boy, is that embarrassing. It has never happened to me before. I limped out to the car to get the bank's phone number and my cell phone. They informed me that I have a limit on how much I can spend point-of-sale each day, even if the money is in my account. I then drove to the bank. At this point I shifted into bulldog mode...I am going to send this money today by hook or by crook, even if I have to crawl! The teller was very nice and was able to do one cashier's check rather than four money orders. It was also free because of my accounts. I then struggle to get back to the Post Office one more time. As I walk in a Chinese clerk calls out, "Third time is a charm!" and ushers for me to cut the line. When he saw the address and my baby's picture in my daytimer he told me that he is from Anhui province. His two children go to our Saturday Chinese school and he takes them to China once a year. He says that all the babies that come to America are very lucky and that he looks forward to seeing my daughter. He was so nice. Mission Accomplished! Time to lay down and rest.

19 Comments:

  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    Phew...I am in pain just reading about your day...but it's done and it sounds like it all ended on a good note:)

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    Your blog makes my day - everyday! Thanks for sharing your experiences! Go take a pill and rest, rest, rest!!!!!!!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger RoLo said…

    WOW you are brave venturing out so soon. I am glad to hear that after all that you got everything sorted out.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Shana said…

    I hope you are feeling much much better soon! (((Hugs))) Shana :)

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I must say I commend you for your awesome attitude- I would have been GRUMPY to the max. Glad you are feeling better.

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Christi,
    Your adventures to and fro the Post Office sound exhausting!

    ..How lovely that you met the nice man from Anhui though. Your silver lining!

    I really hope your ride gets easier. Take extra good care of yourself.
    Best to you,
    Anne.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See, all the trouble was worth it to meet that guy. God has his hands in everything, even if we don't know it!
    REST now! You have a little girl needing you to be strong and well.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I am very impressed at your fortitude. You are quite the tough cookie to drag through all of that so soon after surgery :0)

    Glad third time WAS, indeed, the charm :0)

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger Truly Blessed said…

    Christi,

    What an awful day. I wish I could be closer so I could help you.

    Maybe I'll take a sympathy nap for you today!

    I hope you're feeling back to normal soon.

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Oh, Christi! I'm glad you learned something from all that! Please, please, please, take it easy and let your body heal!

    I've been meaning to call you - this has just been a busy week. I'll try to call over the weekend.

    Take care!!!

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    Oh my gosh.. glad to hear you were able to accomplish your mission. I think I would have given up for the day if I were in all that pain. The third time really was the charm.. Meeting the gentleman from China. Everything for a reason.. right?

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    Wow, I'm tried just reading about your ordeal...you have much more cheerful perserverance than most people!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    You are a woman who once they have a mission, it is getting done!

    Take it easy today.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christi, I'm so glad to hear things are moving along, though challenging. I've never adopted a child but I just know what the paperwork is like here just to live. I think the most interesting document I ever had to get was a paper that gives me permission to live. I've always wondered if that meant they would start charging for the air I breathe or something. I look forward to meeting your little angel the next time I'm in 1000 Oaks. Denise

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Post placement is easy. The social worker comes and makes sure that the baby is adjusted to her new home and family. Re-adoption isn't necessary. All you need is to get her a CA birth certificate and that doesn't need to be done immediately. I can help you through that process and it's much cheaper than re-adoption. Re-adoption is only necessary if only one parent of a married couple went to China and formally adopted. It is meant to make sure that both parents adopt the baby and not one parent.

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a day. Stay home and rest!

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a day. Stay home and rest!

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh sweetie...you know perserverance with a capital P!!!! Now go take some drugs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home