cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Baby Bundles

Last February I started my adoption process and in March I began working out to prepare for baby lifting. It was explained to me early on that birthmoms usually start out with a 6-8 lb. baby who gradually grows in their arms and they have some time to build muscle. Those of us adopting a child, who will likely be a year old, can go from carrying nothing to anywhere between 13-25 lbs. overnight. Many women have posted that they wish they had been more prepared physically to carry their babies. Because baby wearing is such a big part of attachment and bonding I decided I better get in shape! Fortunately I have a good friend who is a PE teacher and personal trainer. She met with me for a few weeks and got me on a great weight lifting routine. (Thank you coach Lara!) Of course it also involves squats, lunges, crunches, and my favorite part - walking. I work out 3x's a week. I wish I could bump it up to 4x's a week but it's so hard to squeeze the time out, especially with daylight savings. The July Dragonflies are "walking to China" to help distract us from our wait. We are each logging in all our walking miles each week and adding them up to meet the total distance to China. We all want to be prepared to climb the Great Wall. I also use my walk as time to pray for my baby, her birth mom, the trip, the orphanges, and those who work there. It's such a great de-stressor too. I hope I can keep it up when she comes home. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    What a great idea to walk towards China!! I need to start adding weight lifting to get more strenght in my arms... Holding up a Diet Coke about does me in....

    Lisa

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is an awesome idea!

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    That's a great routine. I've been trying to be more faithful about exercising. It's hard, isn't it? Especially after teaching all day. I come home and I just want to crash on the couch. I'm really thinking about working out with a trainer to hold me accountable. And I'm trying to figure out how to remain in a fitness routine once I am a mom. My gym has child care, but I don't know if it's fair to put her in child care at the gym when we spend our days apart. What do you think?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home