cherry blossom baby

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12 Join the joyous journey to my baby in China!

Monday, January 15, 2007

Things That Work

A friend of mine is having a shower out of state and wanted ideas for small items that can be shipped back. I am posting my response here in case it helps someone else.

Take & Toss (The First Years) containers and the organizer ($19) that holds them all. I know Target has the organizer but assume BRU does too. The Take and Toss spoons are our favorite ones.
Gerber color change spoons (for temperature of food) are great, but they were really too small for Abbey, for a younger baby they would be good.
Feeding set called Gerber Lil Trainer is our favorite and we use it everyday. It's blue and green with a little fork and spoon that are perfect for Abbey.
Gerber Bunch A Bowl 4 packs, get two. They come with lids and I couldn't manage without them.
Target carries Munchkin brand, BRU does not, but I love these items...
Munchkin bottle drying rack, I looked at them all and think it's the best. You can fold it up.
Munchkin wipes warmer. I thought this was silly but my mom and I both love it now. Abbey really appreciates a warm wipe!
Munchkin dishwasher basket for bottle lids and nipples.
Sassy bottle brush.
Large formula dispenser (also Sassy I think), the smaller ones won't hold all the rice and formula you need.
Dr. Ng recommended Playtex VentiAire Bottles and we love them. She said they are the closest to most the ones used in China. You need atleast 3 - 8 oz and 3 - 6 oz, but could use more than that. We are managing with that many but I have to keep track of them. We use the stage 2 Fast Flow nipples. Make sure you open up the Y cut before you use them.
We like the Playtex sipsters sippy cups and have heard they are the best for not leaking.
Bibsters disposable bibs. Also their disposable changing pads.
I like the Gerbers Grins and Giggles body washes and lotions the best. Also some Aveeno lotion for really dry patches.
The best diapers I've found are Costco Kirland brand. I got size 3 and they've been great as she was 19 lbs when I got her and is now 21 lbs.
For my shower I told people size 12 mo and up for clothing. Even at 21 mo. she is still wearing 12 mo. clothing.
I like Huggies wipes the best. I am trying to use up a case of Costco Kirkland that I bought but the Huggies are better.
I am using Cosco Kirkland formula "similar to Enfamil with Lipils". It really helped to have a case of diapers and formula waiting when I got back, but I know some people have a hard time with formulas.
I got the cutest diaper bag on Shamian Island for $12, cuter than any here and just as good as a Petunia Picklebottom. I also got a nice one from Graco that matches my stroller so that it can hang on the back.
You cannot have enough socks. Get tons of every color. Target ones are not good. You need the kind with skid resisters on the bottom. Old Navy ones have been great. Get 12-24 months.
Our favorite shoes are Bobux, you can Google their site to see styles and them buy them cheaper on Ebay. You really need these or Robeez for when they are learning to walk.
You need two changing pad covers, splurge for the nicer ones.
I love my Hip Hammock and so does she.
If your friends could get you all the baby meds that would really help because it costs a fortune. All the Little Noses/Little Remedies brand items are great and you need everything they make. They make a poison control kit too. Also pedialyte packets from Gerber (you can print coupons on their website). Tylenol and Motrin. Nail clippers. The long nose syringe. Balmex. My doctor said that the cheap digital thermometer under the arm was best, not the expensive ear or temporal artery ones. You don't really need vitamins because your doctor will perscribe them, but I was glad I had some OTC for the trip. Waterbabies sunscreen.
Lots of baby wash clothes - we love the Baby Einstien colors set, they are made so much better.
Gerber tooth cleanser. You need a couple of toothbrushes and one of the little finger scrubbers. I got a set at BRU that had a little tooth mirror too.
I took back the pacifiers and the food mill because Abbey was beyond all that. She would have nothing to do with baby food and went straight to table food. Others have had the opposite experience and I think it was because she was older and had a mouth full of teeth.
Sassy plastic bibs that have a hinged pocket with velcro tabs that fold open for cleaning.
Gerber Fruit puffs were her favorite first food.
Baby Einstien World of Animals DVD and Signing Time DVD's. Lots of baby music CD's.
And ohhhh, the Sassy diaper disposal bags and dispensers. You need about 3 of these, one for the changing table, one for the living room, and one for the car/diaper bag - with lots of refills.

16 Comments:

  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Thanks for the Great List!!!!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Thank you - that's gonna be helpful!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm printing this out for shopping later!

    Donna :)

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVE the bobux shoes. They are by far my faves!!!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    that is a LOT of stuff!

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger A said…

    Christi--a few months ago you were just guessing at all of these products and hoping they would work. Now, you are an expert on things that work and don't work for your daughter. Your life is completely different in big ways and small ways. Thanks for the info. Blessings.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Thanks for sharing!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Wow, what a veteran mom you are now...cool!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for posting this list--I'm getting ready to set up my registry and this will be very helpful!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great job, girl! I am sure this will be a favorite post for those new parents/mom's that will be going to China in the future. Lots of Love, Hug, Kisses & Prayers for you & Abbey/ZZ!

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for sharing,i've alredy printed it off.

    dianne(Canada

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great list!

    I also got a Petunia-Picklebottom looking diaper bag on Shamian Island for about $8 US. Love it!

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Glinda said…

    Priceless.

    Thank you.

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This really is a lot of information - thanks so much. I have to sign in on how much I love Bobux shoes too.. great shoes for toddlers, AND they are a very ethical company that gives money to orphanages.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    My fave spoons and bowls are the take and toss too.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Ava Baby said…

    Great info, thanks. Can you let me know where you found the pedialyte packets. I've been looking around for the them to bring to China and have yet to see them anywhere.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home